The Right Care. Right Here.
The Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU) provides critical care services right here in southeast Idaho for children who need a little extra TLC and for the families who need to be by their side. EIRMC has made a commitment to the patients and physicians in this region to keep families together and help many children get well right here at home under the care of their own doctors.
For very ill children ages infant-18, access to pediatric physician specialists and highly-specialized nursing staff is the key to a speedy recovery. EIRMC’s PICU offers:
- Pediatric Intensivists specially trained in pediatric critical care medicine, for the sickest youngsters.
- Advanced equipment and specialized nursing staff.
- Child-friendly rooms have plenty of space available for family to remain at the bedside.
- Child Life Specialists to help families and children cope.
Scope of Service
With a highly specialized staff of nurses, respiratory therapists, physical and occupational therapists, social workers and nutritionists available to care for your child, we treat a wide spectrum of children's serious illness and injuries.
PICU currently admits patients who need multidisciplinary intervention or continuous monitoring for treatment of:
- Burn injury
- Moderate to severe Respiratory diseases and/or needing endotracheal intubation or mechanical ventilation
- Non-life-threatening Neurologic diseases, seizures responsive to therapy, or neurosurgical post-op care
- Hematologic / Oncologic diseases or life-threatening bleeding, severe anemia, or complications of sickle cell crisis
- Endocrine / Metabolic diseases, or other electrolyte and metabolic abnormalities
- Gastrointestinal diseases, bleeding or foreign body needing emergency endoscopy
- Minor Renal, minor Cardiac, or Multi-system diseases
- Periop care, acute care, or needing transfer from other health care facilities
- Or, needing application of special technology or medication
And This is Just the Beginning