At EIRMC, our pediatric surgeon provides experienced, expert surgical care from routine to highly complex procedures. The region's first and only pediatric surgery program for infants, children and teens. Additionally, we have the region’s only dedicated pediatric anesthesiologist to keep your child safe in the operating room.
The pediatric surgical team cares for infants, children and adolescents. In addition to pediatric surgeon and pediatric anesthesiologist, our children’s services team includes:
- Pediatric nurses
- Child Life specialist to help kids understand their hospitalization
- Pediatric occupational, speech, and physical therapists,
- Respiratory therapists
- Social workers and case managers
Pediatric surgical care: compassionate, skilled and easy to navigate
Hospital experiences can sometimes be overwhelming, particularly when it involves your child’s health and well-being. We are committed to making your child’s surgery as comfortable as possible. As a parent, you can rest easy when your child is in our care:
- Our fellowship-trained pediatric surgeon works closely with pediatricians and other pediatric subspecialty providers. This makes it especially easy for you to navigate your child’s care.
- Our pediatric anesthesiologist is fellowship- trained in this subspecialty.
- We have the only Pediatric Intensive Care Unit in southeast Idaho, western Wyoming and Southern Montana, if your child requires fast access to a higher level of care.
- Our child life specialist works with your child to help alleviate their fears of hospitalization and surgery, as well explain in age-appropriate terminology your child’s diagnosis and treatment plan.
Common procedures performed
- Neonatal/infant surgery
- Pediatric surgery
- Abdominal tumor surgery
- Chest tumor surgery
- Sucken or protruding chest
- Gastrointestinal surgery, including gastroesophageal reflux surgery
- Inguinal hernia, laparoscopically
- Liver surgery
- Cholecystectomy (gallbladder removal)
- Short bowel/pseudo intestinal obstruction
- Thoracoscopic surgery
- Undescended testicle
- Biliary atresia
Dedicated pediatric anesthesiology services
When your child is scheduled for surgery, it is important that you feel comfortable with the anesthesiology team caring for your child during surgery. Our pediatric anesthesiologist understands the special requirements of newborns, infants, children and teens for sedation services. This pediatric expertise is especially important in both procedural sedation and pain management during recovery.
Level III Neonatal Intensive Care (NICU)
If a child requires additional attention following their birth, the neonatologists in our Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) provide expert care for a wide range of post-birth conditions, including treatment for problems that are diagnosed prior to birth. Our surgical team consults with parents when maternal-fetal specialty care is needed, and works closely with our neonatologists to provide the safest delivery experience possible.
Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU)
EIRMC’s PICU provides critical care for children up to age 18, and treats a wide spectrum of serious illness and injury, including burns, trauma, respiratory failure, neurological conditions, bleeding disorders and more. Care is provided by Board-certified Pediatric Intensivists, with a multi-disciplinary team of specialized pediatric nurses; respiratory therapists; physical, occupational, and speech therapists; dieticians; pharmacists; and social workers.