Clinical laboratory services in Idaho Falls
Our laboratory is proud to offer flexible hours for patients with all types of schedules, including evenings, weekends and holidays.
If you are seeking outpatient lab services on Monday- Friday, from 7:00am to 5:00pm, please register in the main lobby.
At any other time, please go to the ER entrance for outpatient lab services. This is not considered an ER visit — you are not charged for emergency services, nor do you wait in the queue for ER care. Instead, outpatient lab services are conducted in the ER when not during weekday daytime hours.
Having lab work done can be a stressful experience, which is why Eastern Idaho Regional Medical Center (EIRMC) seeks to make the process as easy as possible. We provide patients with expert laboratory technicians operating at a conveniently located facility with flexible hours.
Our commitment to excellence ensures prompt and professional service throughout the process, with routine and required specimen collections performed for diagnostic testing.
- Monday – Friday 7:00am to 5:00pm
- After hours, weekends, holidays: Available through the ER entrance
For information about our diagnostic and laboratory services, call (208) 529-6040..
Our lab participates in the College of American Pathologists' Laboratory Accreditation Program — the gold standard for laboratory accreditation. Also, our lab received its Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments certification through the Centers of Medicare and Medicaid Services.
Medical diagnostic services offered
Our lab offers an array of clinical diagnostic laboratory services, with rapid turnaround times and superb customer support. Covering everything from blood counts to vital organ function to infectious diseases, our suite of services includes:
- Basic metabolic panel — Measures your blood sugar and several other natural ions and proteins to test for diabetes and assess kidney function
- Complete blood count — Provides your doctor with vital information about red and white blood cell counts, as well as platelet levels in your blood
- Comprehensive metabolic panel — Combines both the hepatic and basic metabolic panels to inform your doctor of your liver and kidney health
- Electrolyte panel — Allows your doctor to tell if the natural ions found in your blood are appropriately balanced
- Hematology and coagulation testing — Includes a full spectrum of blood clot testing, as well as a variety of specialized tests for investigating hematologic and immune disorders
- Hepatic function panel — Illustrates how well your liver is functioning
- Immunohematology testing — Done through our blood bank, which is a full-service transfusion laboratory offering blood-type identification, antibody screenings and antibody identification
- Iron — Tests your iron level, as low amounts can lead to anemia and may be a sign of abnormal bleeding
- Lipid panel — Measures triglyceride and cholesterol levels, including both "good" cholesterol (HDL) and "bad" cholesterol (LDL), which allows your doctor to determine your risk for preventable heart attacks and cerebrovascular accidents (strokes)
- Microbiology testing — Used in testing for infectious diseases, our full-service analytical capabilities include antimicrobial susceptibility testing, bacteriology, mycobacteriology, mycology, parasitology and virology
- Prostate-specific antigen testing (PSA) — Assesses whether a high PSA level is present in a patient's blood, potentially a sign of prostate cancer
- Thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) testing — Measures TSH, an essential hormone in controlling thyroid gland function. Abnormally high or low levels of TSH can be a sign of thyroid disease
Advanced diagnostic technology
EIRMC is proud to be the only hospital lab in the Idaho Falls area offering advanced diagnostic technology for rapid bacteria identification. With the ability to identify over 6,000 different types of bacteria in only 20 seconds, this system allows your doctor to more quickly prescribe the best antibiotic to fight off potential infection.
Traditionally, the process to identify types of bacteria can take 12-48 hours, making this a game-changing laboratory service.
Our system is a mass spectrometer that measures the size and charge of a bacteria's unique protein "fingerprint" to identify its type. By determining the fingerprint of a bacteria, we can know its exact identity and better formulate a treatment plan.