Healthgrades has recognized EIRMC as Top 10% in the Nation for Coronary Intervention Excellence, and awarded us a five-star rating for 2016.
The cardiac catheterization lab at EIRMC provides diagnostic and therapeutic services by cardiologists that excel in their field. We have the full capacity and support to treat patients 24/7 who are experiencing chest pain or complications due to coronary artery disease.
A cardiac catheterization is generally ordered when symptoms - like chest pain - could mean heart problems, and is often done on an emergency basis.
In 2014, we performed 1,800 cardiac catheterizations, more than any other in our region, and rivaling the amount done in major metropolitan communities.
Our cath lab also boasts the state-of-the-art GE 730 IS, now regionally found only at EIRMC. This system allows for decreased radiation exposure, better visuals, and also complies with patient safety standards.
At EIRMC, some patients also have the option for a transradial catheter — a catheter with entry at the patient’s wrist, as an alternative to the groin. This can reduce complications, decrease bleeding, and promote faster recovery.
The cardiac catheterization lab team of professional, critical care specialists, includes highly-experienced cardiologists, interventional radiologists, licensed radiologic technologists, registered nurses, certified nursing assistants and registered cardiovascular technicians.
Cardiac catheterization helps our doctors to:
- Identify narrowed or clogged arteries of the heart
- Measure blood pressure within the heart
- Evaluate how well the heart valves function
- Determine how well the four chambers of the heart function
- Check for congenital heart defects
- Evaluate an enlarged heart
- Decide on an appropriate treatment
Our diagnostic procedures include:
- Coronary Angiography
- Right and Left Heart Catheterization
- Peripheral Vascular Angiography Studies
- Myocardial Biopsy
- Pacemaker insertion, permanent and temporary
- Pacing studies, overdrive pacing, cardioversions
Our interventional procedures include:
- Percutaneous Transluminal Coronary Angioplasty (PTCA)
- IntraAortic Balloon placement
- Percutaneous Transluminal Peripheral Vascular Angioplasty
- Intracoronary stent placement
- Intracoronary Rotational Atherectomy
- IntraVascular ultrasound
- Intracoronary Thrombectomy