Screening for Prostate Cancer
Digital Rectal Exam
Prostate Specific Antigen (PSA) Test
- Benign prostatic hypertrophy —a very common condition of prostate enlargement in older men
- Inflammation of the prostate (called prostatitis )
- Ejaculation—Your doctor may ask you to abstain from sexual activity for two days before the test.
- Repeating the test at a later date
- Ordering other tests (eg, free PSA , PSA velocity, and PSA density
- Doing a biopsy of the prostate gland to determine if cancer is present
Detailed guide: prostate cancer. American Cancer Society website. Available at: http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/ProstateCancer/DetailedGuide/ . Accessed September 20, 2012.
How did the USPSTF arrive at this recommendation? US Preventative Services Task Force website. Available at: http://www.uspreventiveservicestaskforce.org/prostatecancerscreening/prostatecancerfaq.htm . Published May 2012. Accessed July 27, 2012.
Prostate cancer. National Cancer Institute website. Available at: http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/types/prostate . Accessed September 20, 2012.
Prostate cancer screening. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed/ . Updated May 30, 2012. Accessed July 27, 2012.
Screening for prostate cancer: current recommendation. US Preventative Services Task Force website. Available at: http://www.uspreventiveservicestaskforce.org/prostatecancerscreening.htm . Published May 2012. Accessed July 27, 2012.
- Reviewer: Mohei Abouzied, MD
- Review Date: 09/2013 -
- Update Date: 09/30/2013 -