Recreation Therapy Internship
We provide two types of learning opportunities for Recreation Therapy students – observation (20 hours max) and field placement (at least 560 hours).
Students completing an internship at the BHC will gain experience in acute and residential psychiatric settings.
- Two acute adult units (ages 18 and older)
- Acute adolescent unit (ages from 12-17 years)
- Residential adolescent unit (ages from 12-17 years)
Students can observe recreation therapy services weekday mornings. For observation hours, please email Kristen Sargis.
Field placement (Internship) Description:
Student will be able to apply skills learned in their university coursework as well as gain exposure to and demonstrate competence in all of the job tasks of a Therapeutic Recreation Specialist as outlined in the NCTRC Job Analysis. Interns will gain knowledge through experience with the Therapeutic Recreation Process. Under supervision of our CTRSs, students will become a practicing member of our interdisciplinary treatment team.
Application Due Dates
- To start in January, application is due October 1st
- To start in May, application is due February 1st
- To start in September, application is due June 1st